Sunday, December 16, 2018

Travel Powers Part 2

Gromar's story:
 
If you want to start an argument among heroes state an opinion on various travel powers. People become comfortable with certain powers - especially ones they rely on like travel powers
.
Some people do combine powers if they complement each other (superspeed and superjump, for example, or superspeed and hover).

Lee has occasionally thought of learning hover to complement his superspeed skill but so far has stuck to flight packs. I have no idea what type of scientific potion or pseudo-cosmic ray would be needed or if it could be done at all.‎

I went to the Hero Resource Center I volunteer at and used a virtual reality simulation of Skyway City I had created. I played around with different types of travel powers.

Superspeed was fast but had a problem with heights. Augmented superspeed had the added problem of being harder to control. It was best for getting a good view of things at street level but flight was usually needed  for streethunting and finding things.

Superjump and Teleport were the fastest but also required the most work. Teleport was more precise than superjump but if you took too much time finding a landing spot you may fall out of the sky.

Streethunting with superjump involved jumping high, looking around, landing, and doing it again. I find it too busy.

Flight is the travel power that works the best for me. It may be the slowest travel power but it is flexible in that you can fly as high or as low as you need. You can hover and search for things and then fly directly to them.

I found it interesting to simulate various travel powers even if I wouldn't want to use them in real life.

Notes:

I had characters who used each of the travel powers. I was most fond of flight but other characters fit other travel powers so I used them. Villain characters in the Rogue Isles really needed flight or at least a flight pack.

I usually took Hover along with flight because certain powers could knock flying characters to the ground while a hovering character would just backflip. Hover was also slower and more manageable when used indoors.

I usually didn't take stealth with melee characters unless they were superjumpers. Superjump could be a bit erratic when landing and you had to land often and then jump again when traveling. Stealth meant you were less likely to be attacked while traveling. (One team mate without stealth was heading to a mission in Founders Falls when he was shot by a sniper and sent to the hospital).

The big issue with superspeed was balancing speed and control. If you had superspeed optimized for speed it was more difficult to use effectively indoors or in certain situations. For this reason I tended to just slot stamina reduction enhancements and knockback and/or slow resist

I didn't often take Teleport as a travel power because it needed too much micromanagement. If I did I took Hover to offer some safety and stability.

I tended to put stealth enhancements into travel powers if possible.

No comments: