Sunday, December 16, 2018

Travel Powers Part 1

Gromar's story:

I had been thinking a lot about travel powers in the days since our neighbours came to visit. Having a travel power makes life much easier as a hero.

Sometimes a power comes naturally but sometimes one has to prepare for a power and then train for it. One can prepare for a power in different ways. For example someone with a mutation background may have the necessary genes spliced into their system. For someone with a magic background, like me, the process may involve anything from a spirit quest to simply learning a new spell.

When I was a new hero in Paragon City travel powers were strictly regulated and you could only be certified at security level 14. You could learn basic powers earlier on though.

I was lucky when I arrived in Paragon City. There were a number of promotions going on for new heroes and I picked up a Pocket D VIP Pass and a Jump Pack. The former allowed me to teleport to Pocket D while the latter allowed me to jump great distances (it did have a cool down period though).

You could get by using flight packs or jump packs lent to you for completing missions for the police. These items were meant to be rewards to help out new heroes - not permanent gifts.

I obtained the Zero-G Pack for stopping a robbery attempt at the Kings Row bank. It was a jump pack that simulated the Super Jump power. There was also the Raptor Pack flight pack but I didn't get that until later.

I found the two jump packs very useful but found them less precise than I liked. It was easy to miss a target and land amongst a group of enemies.

My experience with the jump packs pushed me towards learning to fly. Once I had settled on a path I quickly learned Hover and Fly. I never looked back.

Notes: I was late getting a travel power because in the beginning I wasn't sure what I wanted. Later on I had to prioritize powers - especially the fitness pool

No comments: