Monday, December 10, 2018

Gromar's Ugly Costume

Gromar's story:

Thinking about my first days in Paragon City always brings me back to my first costume. They say image is everything and that is true to a point but when it comes to costumes durability is more important.

In the beginning things were okay but I wanted to develop my own identity - and not be a clone of Cougar Canuck. Leather and bone armour and a helmet with cat ears just didn't fit my vision.
I could deal with my image at a later time but the pressing issue was the durability of the costume.

 My cold powers caused the leather to stiffen up and become uncomfortable. One day I got hit by a Hellion with a baseball bat and my catmask/helmet split in two. After that I looked more like a Mouseketeer than a hero.

It didn't help that a newspaper article about upcoming heroes said: "If he performs as poorly as he dresses Groyar won't last very long as a hero." Luckily there were no photos and the reporter spelled my name wrong.

Everyone told me not to worry about it but it bugged me. The nearest Icon store (tailor) was in the northern part of Steel Canyon. I tried getting there but without a travel power I had to run down the streets. I made it half way there when a group of Outcasts sent me to hospital.

Things worked out a few days later when I joined the Safe Harbor supergroup and a fellow member teleported me to the tailor.

The people at Icon were very helpful. They repaired most of my old costume and treated it to not react to the elements. They also sold me a treated full head leather helmet.

The full helmet was a big help dealing with my developing Ice Armor powers. Constantly freezing and melting frost on the skin takes some getting used to. In addition to that was the fact it hid my identity. I could go out without my costume and be incognito.

Sometimes image is everything. Once I had my costume issues worked out I began to settle in and feel a part of Paragon City.

Notes:

I made a mistake when making Gromar's costume during character creation. I was afraid of messing up and losing the character if I restarted so I completed the character and entered the tutorial.

It was then I found out you couldn't change your costume until you went to a tailor.

No comments: