Saturday, October 20, 2007

Death And Drugs

Lee's Diary:

Joey called last night and he was upset. He told me Sherman Baines died in a car accident yesterday. That's sad. Sherm was a good guy and I knew him most of my life.

There was a "Rock Party" out at the old quarry. The redneck kids go there to drink and throw their beer bottles at a big slab of rock. They've been doing this for years.

Joey went to the party yesterday with Sherman and his girlfriend. Joey wants to buy Sherm's pickup and Sherm was going to let him test drive it. (I don't know why Joey is all hyped about a truck when he has to wait to get his license. I think he just wants to hang around with the older guys).

Sherm was drinking at the party but Joey said he wasn't drunk. He and his girlfriend left early and Joey was going to go with them but Sherman hinted they wanted some privacy. Joey asked around and somebody offered a ride back to town.

About an hour after Sherm left Joey and his ride headed to town. They had to stop because the road was blocked by police cars and ambulances. Sherman's truck was wrapped around a tree.

The cops said that the girl had survived but was hurt. Sherman was dead. They asked if he had been drinking. Joey said he was dazed because he could have been in that accident too.

I liked Sherm. He was my team's "assistant student coach" for the last few summers. When I got my powers he was one of the few people who didn't seem bothered by them. This is all so sad.

I had trouble sleeping last night. I had a mission to take care of this morning so I was awake and out early. I kept wondering if Sherman had been too drunk to drive. He could hold his liquor - but still. Does it matter? Who would have stopped him from driving? Probably no one.

My mission took most of the morning to complete and it went well. By lunchtime I was tired again but I had things to do before I went home. I had lunch in a cafe in Skyway City. The owner had a TV on and I watched the news.

Most of the news was boring but one story bothered me. Two high school students were found dead this morning at the school. They had overdosed on Superadine - the drug that trolls use.

I've fought trolls and they're tough. They don't even seem human any more. The supa-trolls are gross and often run around smashing things during troll raves. They are humungous and can be dangerous.

The trolls were raving when I was heading home. Just seeing them made me angry. I knew they had nothing to do with Sherm but their habits probably influenced those two students. I decided to let things go and just head home when I saw a problem.

A supa-troll was running down the street and barreled right over a woman. She screamed and threw her shoe at it - hitting it in the back. The troll turned around and charged her. She ran.

I fired off some iceballs at the troll and ran to help the woman. Both shots hit the troll and he came at me. I don't know much of what happened next but I fought the troll hand to hand. I was in a rage and forgot all of my usual tactics. At some point the troll and I knocked each other out.

When I came to I was laying on my stomach and the woman was shaking me. She was relieved I was okay. She thanked me before she left. I looked at the troll and decided to not call the cops. It wouldn't help anyway. Supa-trolls are too far gone to understand laws or survive in prison. (That's what I was told). Mostly I just didn't care whether it lived or died.

I made it home okay and feel better now.

No comments: